Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Long Weekend of Fun Nose Wearing!

What a fun weekend!  I was so busy I didn't have time to write!!

On Friday I wore my nose to work.  I work at a summer camp teaching circus.  I fit right in that day.  Well, maybe just in the classroom.  Some other people at the camps gave a me few weird looks, but nothing I haven't seen before! I did have a few kids say I looked like Rudolph!  Later that day a few friends and I had a beach party and I forgot to bring my nose and I noticed myself wishing I had brought it and worn it.  That was a first for me,wishing I was wearing my nose when I wasn't!  It kind of surprised me!

On Saturday I went for a 2 hour bike ride.  I found myself being pretty chipper on the bike and saying "Mornin'" to as many people as I could.  I am not sure if it was because of my mood, or because I wasn't so much in my head, but I noticed that people were responding in a much more positive way that day.  I did meet 4 great guys who were sitting on a patio.  They saw me and held out a "magic feather" and said if I touched it, then good luck would come to me.  I missed it as I rode by but I turned around and went back and touched it.  They were so excited that I came back and that I had my nose on.  They were laughing so hard.  They even rubbed the magic feather on my nose!  I explained my project and they said it was a great idea and that I made their day.  They said I would for sure have lots of luck coming my way!!

Later that evening was The Celebration of Light Fireworks.  I wore my nose again!  There were police everywhere and one walked by and started laughing, and then asked "Have you been drinking??"  He came back a little later and asked "Are you still drinking??!"  We all had a good chuckle and I asked if I could take a picture with him.  He (Dave) said sure and he took off his police vest, and put it on me and posed with a big smile.  He told me that my face was the only one he was going to remember from that evening.  Then I asked for his partner (Pablo) to come over for a picture (I wanted to be in the middle of a cute policemen sandwich!!) and his partner was so reluctant.  He looked very embarrassed!  A little bit later on I saw them on a path below me and I stood up and called their names really loud while waving my arms!  Pablo took one look at me and turned away, while Dave smiled, laughed and waved back!  I love police who have a great sense of humour!!

Sunday was Pride here in Vancouver.  I wore all pink and of course my nose!!  I had participants in the parade tell me/gesture to me that they liked my nose.  I actually got to be in the parade for a few minutes!  A clown that I met once (Blyss) rode by on her scooter and a friend and I waved her down to say hi.  She told me to get on her scooter and we rode around for a few minutes!! It was so fun!!
While waiting in line for a washroom I had a great conversation with a woman who loved the idea behind this project.  She couldn't stop laughing.  She said she will have a smile on her face the rest of the day.  Comments like that help keep the conversations in my head much quieter!

On Monday I went to Lighthouse Park and hiked a couple of hours with my nose on.  I didn't know what to expect in that nature type environment compared to the city.  I have to tell you, it was really fun and people's reactions were great!  There were many smiles and laughs and some great comments.  Someone said that they loved my face because it makes people smile.  Another person said that my nose looked like a big huckleberry.  The best comment was "Nobody called me and told me it was red nose day.  I have one at home!!"


When I started over a week ago, I was afraid to wear my nose around my friends thinking that they would be embarrassed.  I was soooo wrong. My friends have supported me so much.  They love my nose.  They love the project.  They are not embarrassed at all.  Some of them have said that they don't even see the nose anymore, it just kind of blends into me.  I have even taken off my nose and my friends hadn't noticed right away.  I am so grateful for you all.  Thank you my wonderful friends for all of your love, support, laughter and acceptance.  Without you, this project would have been a lot harder to start and to continue.

2 comments: